You are here: Home Church and Chapel

Church and Chapel

St Luke's Church and the former Baptist Chapel

No albums or photos uploaded yet.

History of St Luke's Church
The church was originally dedicated to St Oswald and there is a stone carving in the church porch, reputedly said to be of Oswald. The parish is called Broughton Sulney which was a previous name for the village. The word Sulney relates to the family that owned the manor in the thirteenth century.
Brief History of the Chapel
The Baptist chapel operated in Chapel Lane for 200 years, closing in 1995. It served as a centre for a worshipping community which covered a wide area on the Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire wolds.
Chapel Burials
No burial register for the chapel has yet been located, this is a list of the gravestones both inside the chapel and in the burial ground. The number in the left hand column relates to the order they are in the chapel yard, starting at the gate onto the lane. The Chapel is now a private house. The Chapel yard is open to the public.
ARCHIBALD SELWYN PRYOR, Rector of Broughton Sulney 1944-1944
The Rector of Upper Broughton (often referred to as Broughton Sulney in ecclesiastical documents) was the only villager to be killed in the Second World War and his name is on the War Memoral in the churchyard.
Upcoming Events
Medieval Villages in Leicestershire Jan 24, 2019 07:30 PM - 09:15 PM — Upper Broughton Village Hall
History of Welby Village Mar 14, 2019 07:30 PM - 09:15 PM — Upper Broughton Village Hall
Nottingham in the Time of Jane Austen May 09, 2019 07:30 PM - 09:15 PM — Upper Broughton Village Hall
Walking Tour of Cropwell Bishop Jul 11, 2019 06:30 PM - 08:30 PM
The Grantham Canal Sep 12, 2019 07:00 PM - 09:00 PM — Woolsthorpe Locks
Previous events…
Upcoming events…
« January 2019 »
January
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031